I’ve been feeling a bit strange lately: lightheaded, tingly, woozy even. I thought maybe it was because I had a bit of a stomach flu and I was just off kilter, or I was stressed from a horrible business trip, or maybe even that I was having a blood sugar issue from overindulging in cupcakes and the like.
Yesterday I was so off my game I started running into things and getting sweaty from minimal activity. I really felt like I was having a hard time putting together sentences. In fairness, I did have that stomach flu. But that didn’t seem like enough of an explanation. I just was not feeling myself.
Being the number cruncher that I am, I decided it was only prudent to collect some data. I don’t have any means to check my blood sugar so instead I pulled out my Omron blood pressure cuff and strapped myself in…
148 over 121
Well, that explains the woozy. My internet research tells me blood pressure is considered normal in the 120/80 range. Did you get that? My diastolic pressure is higher than the normal 120 systolic pressure number! Ah!
Needless to say I am taking immediate and decisive action. I have scheduled a little one on one time with my doctor, and commit to making sensible lifestyle changes.
Here are some tips from the American Heart Association, www.americanheart.org:
10 Ways to Control Your High Blood Pressure
1. Know your blood pressure. Have it checked regularly.
2. Know what your weight should be. Keep it at or below that level.
3. Don’t use too much salt in cooking or at meals. Avoid salty foods.
4. Eat a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole-grain high-fiber foods according to American Heart Association recommendations.
5. Control alcohol intake. Don’t have more than one drink a day if you’re a woman or two a day if you’re a man.
6. Take your medicine exactly as prescribed. Don’t run out of pills even for a single day.
8. Follow your doctor’s advice about physical activity.
9. Make certain your parents, brothers, sisters and children have their blood pressure checked regularly.
10. Live a normal life in every other way.